Last week during our company lunch, Mimi from Calvert County Master Gardeners gave us a class on gardening basics.
Mimi explained to us the basic requirements to research and prepare when planning your garden:
1. Soil-Type (clay, sandy or loam,) Fertility (test the nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) and PH (minerals more available in soil closest to neutral 6.0-7.0)
2. Light-Too much light equals wilted plants with long, leggy shoots. Too little light equals short plants with few leaves.
3. Water-Too much water equals plant/root rot. Too little water equals shriveled leaves and spaghetti-like roots
4. Climate-Only plant what can survive in the area you live (we are a zone 7A)
5. Essential tools-Trowel, shovel, garden hoe, rake and hand pruners are all examples
We also found out some great plants for beginner gardeners!
Herbs-Chives, Mint, Rosemary, Basil, Cilantro
Vegetables-Cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, green beans and tomatoes
Flowers-Black Eyed Susan, Shasta Daisy, Sedum
Want to become a part of Master Gardener? Visit their website for more information!
And a shout out to our Design Manager, Shannon, who has quite an extensive garden herself! Who knew the time and care that went into planning and maintaining…but what a wonderful result!